York County is located in the Piedmont region, between the Broad River and the Catawba River. Its diverse landscape is home to family-friendly towns/cities, a progressive urban region and lakefront communities. We are excited that you want to join our team and recognize that our employees are the foundation for our success.
Mission Statement - York County provides quality public services in an open, efficient, and responsive manner.
Vision Statement - York County provides an environment where all citizens and businesses can thrive and succeed.
ABOUT OUR OPPORTUNITY
We invite you to apply to join our team as a full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt Mechanical Technician within the Equipment Maintenance division of York County Public Works Department . The purpose of this position is to perform routine preventive maintenance on the vehicles and equipment in the York County fleet. Fleet consists of light duty cars and trucks, medium and heavy-duty trucks (dump and garbage trucks, road tractors), and a variety of heavy equipment (front end loaders, bulldozers, motor graders, track excavator, paving equipment, landfill compactors, tractors, backhoes, forklift).
Benefits: Participation in the SC Retirement System, comprehensive medical benefits including dental and vision plans. Vacation and sick leave; longevity pay; and 11 paid holidays plus 3 additional optional days/floating holidays.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm with occasional overtime and on call rotation schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs preventive maintenance on the vehicles and equipment in the County fleet is a major duty of this position. This includes changing any and all fluids, filters, etc. that are required by the vehicle maintenance schedule of each type of vehicle/equipment being serviced.
- Diagnoses and repairs a variety of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic issues. This includes using specialized computer software, diagnostic scan tools, and other tools. Items included in this are engines, transmissions, differentials, hydraulic systems, fuel systems, heating and air condition systems, air brake systems, and electrical systems.
- Repairs and changes tires on the vehicles and equipment of the fleet is a major duty of this position. Tires include small light duty passenger vehicle tires, large truck tires, tractor and motor grader tires, solid rubber tires (which weigh in excess of 1,000 lbs. each) on loaders, and metal wheels on landfill compactors.
- Welds and fabricates is a daily task of this position.
- Fuels landfill heavy equipment.
- Prepares new vehicles and equipment for use and remove surplus vehicles and equipment from service.
- Operates service trucks and wrecker for field service repairs is a major duty of this position.
- Services and repairs the grapple cranes and operator station of the County transfer station is performed by this position.
- Provides customer service to the public.
- Maintains a safe work environment by keeping up to date on hazards associated with chemicals used, safety procedures, keeping work area clean, lockout/tagout procedures.
- Performs related work as assigned.
ABOUT YOU -
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Two (2) years of vehicle diagnostic, repair, fabrication or related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
- Must possess and maintain a valid state Class B, Commercial driver's license with an acceptable driving history.
- Class A driver's license is preferred.
Applicants with equivalent experience and/or education may be considered.
Physical demands refer to the requirements for physical exertion and coordination of limb and body movement.
- Performs medium work that involves walking, standing, stooping, jumping, lifting, digging, pushing and raising objects and also involves exerting between 20 and 50 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis and 50 to 100 pounds of force on an occasional basis.
UNAVOIDABLE HAZARDS (WORK ENVIRONMENT):
Unavoidable hazards refer to the job conditions that may lead to injury or health hazards even though precautions have been taken.
Involves routine and frequent exposure to:
- Bright/dim light; Dusts and pollen.
- Extreme heat and/or cold; Wet or humid conditions.
- Extreme noise levels, Animals/wildlife.
- Vibration; Fumes and/or noxious odors.
- Traffic; Moving machinery.
- Electrical shock; Heights.
- Radiation; Disease/pathogens.
2006.Mechanical Technician I 7.6.2023 uploaded 7.7.23.docx
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
York County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the County to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
May be required to work nights, weekends, holidays and emergencies (man-made or natural) to meet the business needs of the County.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of essential functions and responsibilities that are required of an employee for this job. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
ESSENTIAL SAFETY FUNCTIONS
It is the responsibility of each employee to comply with established policies, procedures and safe work practices. Each employee must follow safety training and instructions provided by their supervisor. Each employee must also properly wear and maintain all personal protective equipment required for their job. Finally, each employee must immediately report any unsafe work practices or unsafe conditions as well as any on-the-job injury or illnesses.
Every manager/supervisor is responsible for enforcing all safety rules and regulations. In addition, they are responsible for ensuring that a safe work environment is maintained, safe work practices are followed and employees are properly trained.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-09-06