Emergency Management Director
All Charleston County Employees, as a condition of employment must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide their vaccination card.
The Emergency Management Department is seeking an experienced and innovative Emergency Management Director to lead the County's Emergency Management Department, including the Emergency Preparedness Division (EPD), and the Hazardous Materials Division (HazMat).
This leadership role enhances the preparedness of Charleston County and the community through planning, education, training, exercises and hazard mitigation activities. The Director is required to have experience managing difficult projects and solving complex problems while demonstrating calmness while interacting with team members and stakeholders.
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $78,540 - $106,828 (Estimated Annual Salary)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MONDAY, OCTOBER 11, 2021, OR UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
- Ensures compliance with State and Federal standards for emergency response preparedness, planning and mitigation
- Develops policies and procedures to maintain certifications
- Develops and updates plans for emergency operations of County government agencies and of emergency agencies and municipalities within the County.
- Investigates total emergency readiness in the County and modifies and/or implements new programs to enhance readiness capability.
- Supervises the coordination of emergency preparedness and homeland security responsibilities as well as fire and rescue response.
- Oversees the staff of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and ensures the Center runs smoothly and all questions pertaining to disasters or emergencies are answered or resolved.
- Will be required to work at Emergency Operations Center for the entirety of activations.
* Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Emergency Management, Homeland Security, Meteorology, or a related field, with a Master's Degree in Public Administration, Emergency Management or Homeland Security preferred, and
* 10 years of experience in emergency preparedness and response; and
* Possession of a valid State Driver's License indicating a clean DMV record; and
* Within one year of employment, must complete all FEMA Incident Command System (ICS) courses required to work in the Emergency Operations Center; and
* Must possess a valid South Carolina Driver's License indicating a clean DMV record.Closing Date/Time: 10/11/2021 11:59 PM Eastern