Emergency Preparedness Operations Chief
This position is open for current Regular Full Time County employees only.
Under the supervision of the Emergency Management Director, the Chief of Operations assist with directing the day-to-day operations of the Emergency Management Department. Duties also include various aspects of the Hazardous Materials Division. Work performed within the Emergency Management Department must adhere to all applicable Federal and State guidelines. Supervision is exercised over employees in the classes of Emergency Management Specialist and Senior Emergency Management Specialist. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with local, County, State, Federal and private sector partners. The principal duties of this class are performed in both a general office environment, the Emergency Operations Center, and in the field during certain incidents or events.
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $59,072 - $80,350 (Estimated Annual Salary)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MONDAY, MAY 3, 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Keeps the Director of the Emergency Management Department informed on all department related matters.
* Exercises sound judgment and initiative in an effort to advance the Emergency Management Department goals and objectives.
* Develops and updates emergency operations plans.
* Assist the Director of the Emergency Management Department with ensuring the County is prepared to respond to all hazards.
* Assists with ensuring for compliance with State and Federal mandates related to planning, training and exercises.
* Performs public awareness presentations for civic groups, private and public organizations, and town meetings, and provides emergency management training.
* Develops and conducts training and exercise programs in coordination with State program managers.
* Assists with the development of the Department's budget and management of Federal and State grant programs.
* Performs grant procurement and administration.
* Participates in variety of committees dedicated to emergency management
* Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and materials to become and remain current on the principles, practices and new developments in emergency management and emergency preparedness.
* Ensures the availability of an adequate communications and warning system for emergency operations.
* Assists with obtaining necessary resources from various governmental and private jurisdictions to maintain and staff the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
* Participates in all aspects of personnel administration with assigned employees.
* Responds as required during emergencies. .
* Responds to questions, comments, and requests in a courteous, timely manner.
* Provides subordinates with information needed to perform critical work task.
* Keeps Emergency Management Director and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
* Communicates and coordinates regularly with others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities.
* Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.
* All other duties assigned by the Director of Emergency Management, deemed necessary to ensure for the protection of life, property, and environment within Charleston County.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Public Safety Master's Degree in Public Administration desired, or related field; and six
(6) or more years' of experience in emergency management or emergency services; or any equivalent combination of experience and
Training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Must have received the following training/certificates:
All necessary Incident Command System (ICS) courses required to work in the Emergency Operations Center; and Possession of a valid South Carolina Driver's License indicating a clean DMV record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Comprehensive knowledge of emergency management preparedness, mitigation, response, and recovery operations.
* Comprehensive knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, statutes, ordinances, practices, policies and guidelines relating to emergency management.
* Comprehensive knowledge of the incident command system.
* Skilled in operating various emergency management software.
* Skilled in speaking in public before both large and small groups.
* Skilled in operating a personal computer using standard or customized software applications appropriate to assigned tasks.
* Skilled in communicating effectively with others, both orally and in writing, using technical and nontechnical language.
* Skilled in training, supervising, coordinating, and evaluating the work of others.
* Able to provide effective leadership, motivation, and supervision to subordinate and related support personnel.
* Able to train, evaluate and coordinate the work of others.
* Able to effectively promote team and organization building, goal development, and project follow-through.
* Able to relate and work with the public to help solve problems, including during times of anxiety and stress.
* Able to exercise critical thinking to respond to fast-changing environments in high-pressure situations.
* Able to remain calm and continue to work effectively in volatile, high pressure, noisy, and/or dangerous situations.
* Able to make judgment calls and decisions, and apply those decisions in the office and in the field operation
* Able to plan, organize, and coordinate disaster preparedness activities involving variety of groups and organizations.
* Able to work with wide range of personalities in a wide range of situations.
* Able to work independently and establish priorities as well as plan for and meet deadlines.
* Able to use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or oral instructions.
* Able to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures and instructions.
* Able and willing to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology.
* Able to use integrity, ingenuity, and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.Closing Date/Time: 5/3/2021 11:59 PM Eastern