York County is located in the Piedmont region, between the Broad River and the Catawba River. Its diverse landscape is home to family-friendly towns/cities, a progressive urban region and lakefront communities. We are excited that you want to join our team and recognize that our employees are the foundation for our success.
Mission Statement - York County provides quality public services in an open, efficient, and responsive manner.
Vision Statement - York County provides an environment where all citizens and businesses can thrive and succeed.
ABOUT OUR OPPORTUNITY
We invite you to apply to join our team as a full-time (40 hours per week), exempt GIS Programmer to join the IT Department. This exciting position will create and maintain IT products for the GIS workgroup and the clients/departments it supports. This position assists IT staff when developing and managing databases related to spatial data, and directly uses GIS technology and supports its use by others. Oversees the technical aspects of larger GIS projects throughout the County. Serves as webmaster for online GIS services.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 45:00 pm (40 hours per week)
This position will remain open until filled with applications being reviewed weekly
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Creates and manages online tools using spatial data; designs and implements spatial databases in SQL.
- Constructs and maintains complex GIS software solutions.
- Designs and builds webpages offering spatial data functions to internal and external users; troubleshoots and maintains custom software and webpages.
- Manages IT infrastructure serving the GIS workgroup.
- Participates with other GIS staff to complete complex IT-based projects.
- Performs as webmaster for GIS-related pages on the county's website.
- Serves as database administrator for spatial data.
- Creates new desktop and online GIS software tools for use by GIS staff.
- Interfaces GIS and other software to construct complex applications.
- Manages the IT infrastructure in the GIS workgroup.
- Controls user access privileges for GIS software and related relational databases.
- Works with other GIS staff to define requirements for GIS software and create a flowchart of applications and databases to meet those requirements.
- Develops and/or modifies GIS software and related data exchange mechanisms.
- Management of online platform solutions (ArcGIS Online, Geocortex Essentials, etc.).
- Administration, maintenance, and setup of servers including SQL and IIS servers.
- Software (desktop, online, and mobile) deployment, management, and administration.
- Development of various applications using Visual Studio and other IDE's. Administration, maintenance, creation of SQL databases/tables/data.
- Create and maintain documentation for various applications/products.
- Meets with customers to define data needs and business/functional requirements in order to ensure work products meet business needs at the customer, community, service area, regional or County-wide level; develops clearly articulated business and functional requirements and creates design for GIS technology solutions.
- Full list of duties can be found on the attached job description.
About you -
Experience and Education:
Bachelor's degree and four (4) years of GIS experience.
Certifications and Licenses:
- GISP certification.
- Valid driver's license is preferred.
- Multiple ESRI Certifications are preferred.
Applicants with equivalent experience and/or education may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities/Attributes
- Extensive knowledge of the principles of information technology.
- Knowledge of GIS software functionality and construction.
- Knowledge of relational database management systems and the ability to use the SQL language.
- Knowledge of general IT functions, such as network construction and database management.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of website development.
- Ability to develop and maintain online spatial data tools for GIS and non-GIS users.
- Ability to use agile programming methods to develop new applications.
- Ability to diagnose and repair problems with the currently deployed versions of the Windows operating system.
- Extensive skill in the use of online and desktop application programming languages and methods.
- Skilled in using Visual Studio (and other IDE's) to create new GIS applications.
- Skilled in building and operating IIS web server software installations.
- Skilled in the use of GIS software, particularly ArcGIS.
- Skilled in spoken and written communications.
- Skilled in the use of data transformation software.
Physical and Dexterity Requirements:
Standing, walking, reaching with hands and arms, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling under 1/3 of the time. Talking or hearing 1/3 to 2/3 of the time. Sitting, gripping or feeling with hands over 2/3 of the time. Lifting up to 10 pounds under 1/3 of the time.
Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up or down or to the left and right when vision is fixed on a given point), depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships), and ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus).
Job Posting - GIS Programmer.docx
York County is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to achieving excellence and strength through diversity. The County seeks a wide range of applicants for its positions so that one of our core values, a qualified and diverse workforce, will be affirmed. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance requires the County to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-02-09