York County is located in the Piedmont region, between the Broad River and the Catawba River. Its diverse landscape is home to family-friendly towns/cities, a progressive urban region and lakefront communities. We are excited that you want to join our team and recognize that our employees are the foundation for our success.
Mission Statement - York County provides quality public services in an open, efficient, and responsive manner.
Vision Statement - York County provides an environment where all citizens and businesses can thrive and succeed.
ABOUT OUR OPPORTUNITY
We invite you to apply to join our team as a full-time (40 hours per week), exempt GIS Programmer to join the IT Department. This exciting position will create and maintain IT products for the GIS workgroup and the clients/departments it supports. This position assists IT staff when developing and managing databases related to spatial data, and directly uses GIS technology and supports its use by others. Oversees the technical aspects of larger GIS projects throughout the County. Serves as webmaster for online GIS services.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm (40 hours per week)
Benefits: participation in the South Carolina Retirement System, comprehensive medical benefits package including dental and vision; longevity, vacation and sick pay; and 11 paid holidays plus 3 optional days/floating holidays.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Creates and manages online tools using spatial data; designs and implements spatial databases in SQL.
- Constructs and maintains complex GIS software solutions.
- Designs and builds webpages offering spatial data functions to internal and external users; troubleshoots and maintains custom software and webpages.
- Manages IT infrastructure serving the GIS workgroup.
- Participates with other GIS staff to complete complex IT-based projects.
- Performs as webmaster for GIS-related pages on the county's website.
- Serves as database administrator for spatial data.
- Creates new desktop and online GIS software tools for use by GIS staff.
- Interfaces GIS and other software to construct complex applications.
- Manages the IT infrastructure in the GIS workgroup.
- Controls user access privileges for GIS software and related relational databases.
- Works with other GIS staff to define requirements for GIS software and create a flowchart of applications and databases to meet those requirements.
- Develops and/or modifies GIS software and related data exchange mechanisms.
- Performs related work as assigned.
About you -
Experience and Education:
Bachelor's degree and four (4) years of GIS experience.
Certifications and Licenses:
- GISP certification or the ability to obtain within one (1) year of hire.
- Multiple ESRI Certifications are preferred.
Applicants with equivalent experience and/or education may be considered.
Physical demands refer to the requirements for physical exertion and coordination of limb and body movement.
- Performs sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time and involves exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis or sustained keyboard operations.
Unavoidable hazards refer to the job conditions that may lead to injury or health hazards even though precautions have been taken.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
York County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the County to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-09-16