Heavy Equipment Operator I Road Maintenance (HEO I)
York County is located in the Piedmont region, between the Broad River and the Catawba River. Its diverse landscape is home to family-friendly towns/cities, a progressive urban region and lakefront communities. We are excited that you want to join our team and recognize that our employees are the foundation for our success.
Mission Statement - York County provides quality public services in an open, efficient, and responsive manner.
Vision Statement - York County provides an environment where all citizens and businesses can thrive and succeed.
The Public Works Department is comprised of eight divisions that fall under the direction of the Public Works Director. Each division provides an important service to the citizens of York County and contributes to the quality of life experienced by those who live in our county. Of those eight divisions, Road Maintenance maintains approximately 700 miles of roadway under the County's jurisdiction.
ABOUT OUR OPPORTUNITY
We invite you to apply to join our team as a full-time (40 hours per week), Heavy Equipment Operator I. The purpose of the class is to operate a variety of heavy equipment in the construction and maintenance of York County roads; to maintain and perform minor repairs on equipment and machinery, and to perform related work as required. Concrete finishing experience is a plus. Our crews work four (4) ten hour shifts per week and have 3 day weekends!!! All employees receive uniforms, safety supplies and $175.00 steel toe boot allowance.
Work Schedule: Monday - Thursday 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM Or Tuesday - Friday 7:00 AM - 5:30 with occasional overtime available.
Benefits: participation in the South Carolina Retirement System, comprehensive medical benefits, sick, vacation and holiday pay.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of road construction and maintenance tasks using heavy equipment and machinery, including but not limited to grading and paving roads and parking lots, scraping roads, constructing and repairing bridges, constructing barricades, installing asphalt, placing stone, landscaping, sowing grass and mowing grass on right-of-ways, cutting and removing trees and debris from right-of-ways, installing road signs, digging ditches, laying drainage pipes, etc.
- Operates trucks, dump trucks, motor grader, bull dozer, back hoe, front end loader, asphalt roller, track hoe, earth mover, straw blower, crack sealer machine, limb cutter, fork lift, skid steer, asphalt patching and paving machines, street sweeper, asphalt cutter, mud pumps, generator, chain saws; various hand tools; exercises care and safety in the use and maintenance of assigned equipment and tools; operates two-way radio.
- Sets up road construction sites to control traffic flow during work based on the guidelines set by the South Carolina Department of Transportation, municipalities, counties, and contractors. Work as traffic control flag man.
- Operates heavy vehicles and equipment to load, haul or move materials, dirt and debris; drives a truck to transport heavy equipment and required materials and tools to job sites. Ability to drive county vehicles required to perform this required task.
- Responds to after-hours emergency calls as required; works on call for duty in inclement weather conditions and on holidays as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
ABOUT YOU -
Education and Experience:
Completion of high school/GED equivalency or specialized vocational training and 1-3 years of experience.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Valid state Class "B" Commercial driver's license (Class A Preferred).
- Valid CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Must have completed confined space and competent person training per OSHA guidelines.
Applicants with equivalent experience and/or education may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities/Attributes:
- Requires leading, operating, or repairing complex machinery or equipment that requires extended training and experience, such as light or heavy construction/specialized equipment .
- Requires speaking or signaling to people to convey or exchange information of a general nature.
- Requires the ability to perform data entry.
- Requires ability to use Transit and other grade instruments used in the installation of culverts and storm drainage systems.
P hysical and Dexterity Requirements:
Requires work involving: walking, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling under 1/3 of the times, standing, sitting, gripping or feeling with hands, reaching with hands and arms, talking, or hearing 1/3 to 2/3 of the time; and lifting up to 25 pounds 1/3 to 2/3 of the time. Requires heavy work that involves constantly lifting, pushing or raising objects.
Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors).
Potential Environmental Conditions/Hazards:
The job may risk exposure to indoor environment, outdoor environment, noise, extreme temperatures, vibration, moisture and/or humidity, dust, fumes, gases, poor ventilation, mechanical hazards, chemical hazards, explosive hazards, burn hazards.
2302.HEO I Road Maint 7.6.22.docx
York County is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to achieving excellence and strength through diversity. The County seeks a wide range of applicants for its positions so that one of our core values, a qualified and diverse workforce, will be affirmed. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance requires the County to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-06-10