Heavy Equipment Operator Solid Waste Disposal
York County is located in the Piedmont region, between the Broad River and the Catawba River. Its diverse landscape is home to family-friendly towns/cities, a progressive urban region and lakefront communities. We are excited that you want to join our team and recognize that our employees are the foundation for our success.
Mission Statement - York County provides quality public services in an open, efficient, and responsive manner.
Vision Statement - York County provides an environment where all citizens and businesses can thrive and succeed.
About the Department: The Public Works Department is comprised of eight divisions that fall under the direction of the Public Works Director. Each division provides an important service to the citizens of York County and contributes to the quality of life experienced by those who live in our county. Of those eight divisions, Solid Waste Disposal operates a construction, demolition, and land clearing debris landfill; and provides disposal services for household garbage.
ABOUT OUR OPPORTUNITY
We are excited to hire a full-time, non-exempt (40 hours per week), Heavy Equipment Operator I. In this position, you will learn to improvise, adapt, and overcome any situation or obstacle from on-the-job training. You will operate a variety of heavy equipment for the maintenance of the York County Landfill. You will also have the opportunity to learn to operate roll off truck, dozer, off road truck, compactor, loader, skid steer, grapple, grass cutting tractor, and track hoes. Landfill experience is a plus, but not required.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM with overtime available depending on department needs. Rotational Saturday work from 7:00 AM - 12:30 PM. Working on Saturday is required in this position. All Solid Waste Disposal employees are placed in rotation to work on Saturdays and average 2 Saturdays each month. Solid Waste Disposal employees are essential employees. As an essential employee, working during all inclement weather conditions is required. Meaning when county offices are closed due to inclement weather, employees are required to report to work. County employees receive paid holidays each year, Solid Waste Disposal employees observe 7 of those holidays and will work 3 of the scheduled holidays.
Full-Time Benefits: Participation in the South Carolina Retirement System, comprehensive medical benefits, sick, vacation and holiday pay. All employees receive uniforms, safety supplies/training and $175.00 steel toe boot allowance.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of landfill maintenance tasks using vehicles, heavy equipment and machinery, including compacting garbage, hauling waste, blading roads, grading roads, moving dirt, digging drainage ditches and terraces, spreading soil and stone, cutting grass, packing road and dumping pads, etc.
- Performs a variety of road construction and maintenance tasks using heavy equipment and machinery, including but not limited to grading and paving roads and parking lots, scraping roads, constructing and repairing bridges, constructing barricades, constructing convenience centers for garbage disposal, patching roads, mending fences, installing asphalt, placing stone, landscaping, sowing grass and mowing grass on rights-of-way, cutting and removing trees and debris from rights-of-way, installing road signs, digging ditches, laying drainage pipes, etc.
- Operates heavy vehicles and equipment to load, haul or move materials, dirt and debris; drives a truck to transport heavy equipment and required materials and tools to job sites. Ability to drive county vehicles required to perform this required task.
- Performs preventive maintenance, cleaning, and minor repairs of equipment, machinery, and tools; inspects equipment regularly for proper and safe operating condition.
- Responds to after-hours emergency calls as required; works on call for duty in inclement weather conditions and on holidays as necessary.
- Maintains an assigned area of graveled and paved roads; ensures they are kept smooth and properly surfaced.
- Maintains drainage ditches; clears debris as necessary.
- Repairs wash-outs in roads during severe weather conditions.
- Drives a County truck to transport heavy equipment and required materials and tools to job sites.
- Operates trucks, dump trucks, motor grader, bull dozer, back hoe, front end loader, asphalt roller, track hoe, earth mover, straw blower, crack sealer machine, limb cutter, fork lift, skid steer, asphalt patching and paving machines, street sweeper, asphalt cutter, paint sprayer machine, mud pumps, generator, chain saws; uses mechanic's tools, various hand tools; exercises care and safety in the use and maintenance of assigned equipment and tools; operates two-way radio.
- Prepares and submits daily and monthly work reports; completes work orders.
- Stones, scrapes, and ditches gravel roads. Conducts asphalt repairs.
- Installs and repairs guardrail in accordance with SCDOT guidelines.
- Sets up road construction sites to control traffic flow during work based on the guidelines set by the South Carolina Department of Transportation, municipalities, counties, and contractors. May work as traffic control flag man.
- Assists workers in other County Departments and divisions with maintenance tasks as necessary.
- Performs duties in accordance with all division policies, procedures, and standards of quality and safety.
ABOUT YOU -
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Three (3) years of operating heavy or light duty equipment or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
- Must possess and maintain a valid state Class B Commercial driver's license.
- Class A Commercial Driver's License is preferred.
- Valid CPR and First Aid Certification and/or the ability to obtain through County offered training.
Applicants with equivalent experience and/or education may be considered.
Physical demands refer to the requirements for physical exertion and coordination of limb and body movement.
- Performs very heavy work that involves constantly lifting, shoveling, and carrying 50 to 75 pounds on a regular and recurring basis and exerting 100 pounds of force on a frequent basis.
UNAVOIDABLE HAZARDS (WORK ENVIRONMENT):
Unavoidable hazards refer to the job conditions that may lead to injury or health hazards even though precautions have been taken.
Involves routine and frequent exposure to:
- Bright/dim light; Dusts and pollen.
- Extreme heat and/or cold; Wet or humid conditions.
- Extreme noise levels, Animals/wildlife.
- Vibration; Fumes and/or noxious odors.
- Traffic; Moving machinery.
- Electrical shock; Heights.
2302.HEO I 7.6.2023 uploaded 7.7.23.docx
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
York County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the County to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
May be required to work nights, weekends, holidays and emergencies (man-made or natural) to meet the business needs of the County.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of essential functions and responsibilities that are required of an employee for this job. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
ESSENTIAL SAFETY FUNCTIONS
It is the responsibility of each employee to comply with established policies, procedures and safe work practices. Each employee must follow safety training and instructions provided by their supervisor. Each employee must also properly wear and maintain all personal protective equipment required for their job. Finally, each employee must immediately report any unsafe work practices or unsafe conditions as well as any on-the-job injury or illnesses.
Every manager/supervisor is responsible for enforcing all safety rules and regulations. In addition, they are responsible for ensuring that a safe work environment is maintained, safe work practices are followed and employees are properly trained.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-09-15