LPN or RN
The York County Sheriff's Office is located in York County, South Carolina. We are a continually growing community, just 15 minutes south of Charlotte, North Carolina. Being perfectly located in the foothills of South Carolina, just a couple hours from either the mountains or the beach, has brought people here from all over the country to make this their home. As the population of York County grows, we at the York County Sheriff's Office, Detention Division are looking for people to help us grow with it. The Detention Center is located at the Moss Justice Center and is an 821-bed direct supervision facility that opened in March of 1995. We are charged with holding individuals who have been arrested by various law enforcement agencies in York County and held until they post bond or are ordered released by a court or transferred to a state institution after court sentencing. The Detention Center also houses inmates for the U.S. Marshal Service and Immigration and Customs Enforcement under an agreement that provides compensation to the county. We are committed to the operation of a facility that will meet state standards and for the preservation of basic human rights of the inmate population by the Constitution of the United States of America.
To learn more about this position, please refer to our website: Detention Employment Opportunities | York County Sheriffs, SC (civicplus.com)
ABOUT OUR OPPORTUNITY
Benefits: participation in PORS: Police Officers Retirement System through PEBA ( pors_handbook.pdf (sc.gov) , comprehensive medical benefits including dental and vision through PEBA ( benefits_options_2023.pdf (sc.gov) ), vacation leave, sick leave, longevity pay, eleven paid holidays plus three optional days/floating holidays.
Work Schedule: Schedule is dependent on department needs; some evenings and weekends may be required.
This position is open until filled with review of applicants weekly. Applicants should monitor email for next steps of the application process. If you wish to find out more about a career at the York County Detention Center, email Sgt. Hewitt at Michael.Hewitt@yorkcountygov.com
Salary is dependent on education and experience.
- LPN salary: Non-Exempt Pay Rate/ Grade 115: $24.18 - $37.48 per hour. Salary is dependent on experience and education.
- RN salary: Non-Exempt Pay Rate/Grade 119: $29.40 - $45.56. Salary is dependent on experience and education.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform assessments on inmates by doing the following tasks: initial booking, sick call and physicals.
- Assist physicians with exams as necessary: perform general nursing duties such as administering medications, collecting blood, urine and other body samples and vital signs, administering TST injections.
- Attend training, meetings, seminars, etc. as necessary to enhance job knowledge.
- Chart all sick call contacts, assessments, physicals, doctors' calls, mental health calls, and dental calls.
- Administer medication as ordered.
- Prepare for and assist with doctor calls, mental health calls and dental calls.
- Respond to all medical emergencies involving inmates and staff.
- Perform lab draws and labs procedures as ordered by doctor.
- Keep supervisor and officers informed of daily incidents and activities.
ABOUT YOU -
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Registered Nurse Qualifications: Completion of Associate's Degree, vocational/technical degree, or specialized training that is the equivalent to satisfactory completion of two years of college education with emphasis in nursing or a closely related field. Requires over three years of experience. CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES: Must possess State of SC or multi-state Nursing License
Licensed Practical Nurse Qualifications: Must possess a vocational or technical degree or specialized training that is equivalent to satisfactory completion of two years of college education with emphasis in nursing or closely related field. Requires over one year of nursing experience. CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES: Must possess LPN License
Education and Experience Requirements for both positions: CPR, First Aid, AED, and Pharmacy Technician certifications. Must attend NAMI, Security Awareness, and annual PREA training. A valid state driver's license is preferred.
York County is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to achieving excellence and strength through diversity. The County seeks a wide range of applicants for its positions so that one of our core values, a qualified and diverse workforce, will be affirmed. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance requires the County to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
Closing Date/Time: 2023-09-15