Charleston County is seeking experienced professional to lead the County's sustainability efforts. Charleston County is a dynamic community with a population that has grown over the past decade to an estimate population of over 411,000. Located along the southeastern coast of South Carolina, encompassing approximately 919 square miles of land, marshes, rivers, and wetlands with a coastline that stretches nearly 100 miles along the Atlantic Ocean. Charleston County contains vital protected areas including the Francis Marion National Forest, Cape Roman National Wildlife Refuge and ACE Basin National Estuarine Research Reserve.
The Sustainability Coordinator is responsible for leading, coordinating and supporting the implementation of the sustainability programs and goals of the County as well as managing, coordinating, facilitating and advising the development, implementation, monitoring and improvement of policies, programs, and initiatives that promote local environmental, energy, economic, and social sustainability.
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $52,582 - $71,531 (Estimated Annual Salary)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: SUNDAY, MAY 2, 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Leads in the planning of Charleston County's sustainability initiatives and programs to advance the County's sustainability goals and initiatives to accelerate sustainability initiatives such as new technologies, funding options, creative partnerships, etc.
* Gathers and analyzes data to support and track progress on sustainability initiatives.
* Produces high quality reports, media, and other communication materials to share progress with internal and external stakeholders.
* Work closely with the County's Chief Resilience Officer.
* Participates in professional networks such as the Southeast Sustainability Directors Network.
* Facilitates collaboration of interdepartmental teams and working groups on sustainability initiatives and programs.
* In collaboration with Communications, responds to media requests for comment on sustainability issues.
* Master's Degree in Public Administration, Community Planning or a related field preferred. Bachelor's Degree required.
* Five (5) years of experience, in planning or related field with progressive responsibility levels
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Ability to demonstrate initiative as self starter exercising high autonomy and independent as well as critical thinking in order to provide informed recommendations for advancing County sustainability goals.
* Excellent project management skills with strong organizational abilities and attention to detail.
* Strong research skills, data collection and analysis skills, and creative problem-solving skills.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills to work effectively with department staff, committee chairs, technical consultants, and elected officials.
* Ability to build good working relationships with others, particularly within County department, to coordinate efforts and move actions forward.
* Candidate must possess and display tact, integrity, excellent moral character, good judgement, and resourcefulness.
* Excellent computer skills that at a minimum include presentation software, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, and the ability to learn new software as needed.
* Excellent verbal communication skills to work effectively with the public department heads, elected officials, committee chairs, and technical consultants
* Working Knowledge of governmental decision-making processes
* Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed.Closing Date/Time: 5/2/2021 11:59 PM Eastern